RE: OEM Events

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:15:27 -0800

Hemant,

You're missing the point. Numerous extents is *always* better than crashing an application becuase it hit maxextents.

I don't care *how* many extents it is, it is *always* better than crashing.

There are many possible scenarios for the number of extents suddenly increasing before the DBA can catch the problem, especially when the DBA flies solo.

( for those than join this thread late, we're discussing DD managed extents)

Jared

Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
 04/16/2003 09:54 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: OEM Events

"segments with extents > 25% of max_extents [yes, this is a really low threshold]"
catches the application much before it can crash.

Unlimited can result in tens of thousands of extents and someone then wanting to drop the table. In Dictionary Managed tablespaces, there's no point in allowing very many small extents. If my script catches such tables early, I can modify the NEXT_EXTENT so that extent growth isn't too great.
Hemant

At 11:54 AM 15-04-03 -0800, you wrote:
>I like to set all objects to maxextents unlimited.
>
>It's silly to crash an app because of some arbitrary limit
>that has little meaning. If you don't like that many extents,
>you can always fix it later.
>
>Beats having unplanned downtime. :)
>
>Jared
>

>Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
>Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
> 04/15/2003 09:28 AM
> Please respond to ORACLE-L
>

> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> cc:
> Subject: RE: OEM Events
>

>Once a day is good enough if you have set the right thresholds --
>among the other monitoring scripts that I have are :
>
>tablespace with less than 20% free space on current datafile sizes
>[irrespective of the maxbytes of the datafile],
>
>segments with extents > 25% of max_extents [yes, this is a really low
>threshold]
>
>segments with next_extent > 25% of largest free extent in the tablespace.
>
>Run by custom SQL scripts, called by CRON from a monitoring server.
>
>Hemant
>
>At 11:19 AM 14-04-03 -0800, you wrote:
> >How often do YOU check these limits (tablespace utilisation, and "max
> >extents")?
> >
> >Once per day, somewhat less than every 10 minutes.
> >
> >Jared
> >

> >"Mark Leith" <mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk>
> >Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
> > 04/14/2003 08:53 AM
> > Please respond to ORACLE-L
> >

> > To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
><ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> > cc:
> > Subject: RE: OEM Events
> >

> >Sunny,
> >
> >There is a whitepaper that I found available from:
> >
> >www.csis.gvsu.edu/GeneralInfo/Oracle/em.920/a96675.pdf
> >
> >This is the "Oracle Enterprise Manager Event Test Reference Manual
>Release
> >9.2.0" document..
> >
> >I note two things in this document. For the "Tablespace Full" event,
it's
> >"Recommended Frequency" is 30 seconds (!), though it contradicts itself
>by
> >saying:
> >
> >"Note: Running the Tablespace Full event test may be a
resource-intensive
> >operation.
> >Therefore, Oracle recommends running the Tablespace Full event test
>during
> >off-peak periods."
> >
> >It says the same thing with the "Maximum Extents" event as well,
stating
> >the
> >"Recommended Frequency" as 10 minutes (you can take that one back at
> >least),
> >whilst still stating:
> >
> >"Note: Running the Maximum Extents event test may be a
resource-intensive

Author: Hemant K Chitale