Re: Locally Managed Tablespaces - Questions.

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 06:38:41 -0800

Hi Jonathan,

I kinda concur that the overhead associated with multiple extent maps is not generally going to have a noticeable effect.

However one issue that I believe is much more likely to have an effect is ASSM. Here the overhead can be substantial both terms of the relative number of "segment bitmap" blocks and in terms of having to access them. Oracle will map between 16 blocks (min) and 64 blocks(max) depending on the size of the extents within one bitmap block so there are relatively more of these buggers with smaller extents. This means more "overhead" blocks need to be read when performing a FTS which could impact performance.

But again, whether such effects will be noticeable needs to be determined. The impact could be greater though for extent sizes under 64 blocks.

Food for thought ...

Cheers

Richard

Author: Richard Foote