RE: Database performance monitoring tool for developers.

From: April Wells <awells_at_csedge.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 03:38:47 -0800

 I will go along with that.
Whole heartedly in fact
But with a disclaimer.
They (the users with access to the tools) have to be willing to learn the tool, and what the results MEAN. If they are willing to learn (really learn, not just hear part then think they know all there is to know about tuning code), I will give them access to the tools in a min.

We have one developer who I trust implicitly. She wants to learn, tries to use good coding standards and tries to write the tightest code possible. I would give her DBA privs on the development instance in a heartbeat, and any tool at my disposal to help her do her job.

BUT... When you deal with parts of the user base (some of the developers) that think it is really cool to have a tool that has a really neat button that does everything for them, so they don't have to worry about the details of their code (SQL Navigator is our company's code generator of choice... not toad, that would be silly), then you have to deal with them having been 'educated' about tuning and what they should tell the DBAs to do to the system to tune it... and then they get an ORA-4030 error and decide that there needs to be a UNIX Kernel change because that will make their code run... you find out that a little bit of knowledge is a truly horrible thing.

April
Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

The information contained in this communication, including attachments, is strictly
confidential and for the intended use of the addressee only; it may also contain
proprietary, price sensitive, or legally privileged information. Notice is hereby given that
any disclosure, distribution, dissemination, use, or copying of the information by anyone
other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited and may be illegal. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail,
delete this communication, and destroy all copies.

Corporate Systems, Inc. has taken reasonable precautions to ensure that any attachment to
this e-mail has been swept for viruses. We specifically disclaim all liability and will
accept no responsibility for any damage sustained as a result of software viruses and advise
you to carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

Author: April Wells
  INET: awells_at_csedge.com