Re: Listener - THANKS

From: CP <csp2201_at_netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:18:35 -0800

Scott, Rachel, John, Brad

Thanks a lot for your response and helpful information. Now, I have a better idea and confidence to handle this. You all have really saved me time.

Thanks again and Good Luck!
CP

sstefick_at_harpercollege.edu wrote:

> CP,
>
> When you stop and re-start the LISTENER, the connections that have
> already been established will not be affected. The connections that
> are trying to connect will not be able to until the listener is back up.
>
> The listener listens to the database and that is all. Once a
> connection request is coming in, it goes to the listener. The
> listener then hands off the connection to the proper instance and the
> listener is not involved with that connection anymore.
>
> -Scott
>

> At 12:44 PM 4/14/03 -0800, you wrote:
>
>> Hi Gurus,
>>
>> We have four database instances, three of them are using Oracle8i and
>> one using Oracle9i. Presently, the listener service is using
>> Oracle8i binaries. Due to some issues with Intelligent Agent, we want
>> to migrate/upgrade the listener service to Oracle9i. All the
>> databases are accessed all the time and there are active connections
>> to all these databases. My question is, if I quickly stop the
>> listener and start the listener using Oracle9i environment, will
>> there be any disruption to the connections which are already made to
>> the database? Will the effect be limited to the connections if any
>> made during the duration between the shutting down the listener and
>> starting up the new listener? Please help me understand the effect
>> of this plan.
>>
>> OS : Sun Solaris 32bit.
>> Oracle: Oracle8i (8.1.7.4) and Oracle9i (9.2.0.1)
>>
>> Thanks a lot in advance!
>> CP

>> Try AOL and get 1045 hours FREE for 45 days!
>> http://free.aol.com/tryaolfree/index.adp?375380
>>
>> Get AOL Instant Messenger 5.1 for FREE! Download Now!
>> http://aim.aol.com/aimnew/Aim/register.adp?promo=380455
>> --
>> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net
>> --
>> INET: CSP2201_at_netscape.net
>>
>> Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
>> also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).

> Scott Stefick
> Systems / Oracle Certified DBA
> Wm. Rainey Harper College
> 847.925.6130

Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop_at_Netscape!
http://shopnow.netscape.com/

Author: CP
  INET: csp2201_at_netscape.net