RE: DBA's that tune duhveloper's SQL

From: <Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:38:58 -0800

Amen.

BTW, Stress-testing as part of testing path before production came after my personal experience when as the Oracle DBA new to an organization - the CIO would run into my office whenever there was a slowdown asking me how I was going to fix it. Not wanting to (1) suggest buying more hardware or (2) changing an init.ora parameter just to see the symptom show up as CPU versus memory - chasing my tail, I analyzed the system and saw some really poorly written SQL. I suggested tuning of that SQL and amazingly the system had enough memory and CPU and no init.ora parameter needed to be changed. Since then - as an in-house Oracle DBA I require stress-test be put into the project plan before something becomes productional so this kind of thing can be seen before the CIO runs into anyone's office. He said I handled stress well - as this happened for awhile on a mission-critical system and I was about 4 months pregnant. What a way to learn this important lesson - don't let it happen to you!

Oracle OCP DBA

Author: Stephane Faroult
  INET: sfaroult_at_oriole.com

  INET: Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us