RE: Direct SGA Access

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 11:01:35 -0800

Mladen,

    Thanks for taking the words almost out of my mouth. I may be a bit old fashioned, but I believe that the manufacturer of my truck put a red line on the Tach for a purpose. Will the engine blow up beyond that point, maybe not but your treading in waters your not meant to tread. The same goes for messing around in the SGA in my book. I have not seen an API or map of the SGA published by Oracle. Therefore if your messing around your on your own. If the DB is hung out to dry as one respondent stated, and Yes that has happen to me, then that's what you pay OTS for. I know they have methods and what not that will take you into those waters, but let them navigate for you & then tell you what happen. OH Yes, It';s fast, well if your needs are for sub second data from the SGA I think your problem is most likely elsewhere and even getting what you want is not going to make any difference. And if you really do want to get data from the SGA, go find a vendor with am intimate relationship with Oracle and but their product.

BTW: My basic reason for saying this is that I once tried to use C to extract VMS from a VAX. Well that worked pretty good, now I wonder can I?? Answer was, Yes you can. Ever see how fast a VAX 11-780 can shutdown corrupting every file on the disk drives?? Answer: DAMN FAST.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA

Author: Goulet, Dick