RE: Migrating from MS Access to oracle

From: Eberhard, Jeff <Jeff.Eberhard_at_Rolls-RoyceGS.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:48:10 -0800

Reasons to port from Access:

Web developer does say "whatever you want to use". I think the DBA troubles are already here. He built an intranet page using ASP and created this table:

SQL> desc purch_req

 Name                                                  Null?    Type
 ----------------------------------------------------- --------
------------------------
 REQNBR                                                NOT NULL CHAR(10)
 REQNAME                                                        VARCHAR2(50)
 SUG_SUPPLIER                                                   VARCHAR2(50)
 SALES_ORDER_NBR                                                CHAR(10)
 PO_NBR                                                         CHAR(10)
 REQ_DATE                                                       DATE
 EXT                                                            VARCHAR2(4)
 DEPT                                                           VARCHAR2(6)
 REQUEST_QTY1                                                   NUMBER(7)
 REQUEST_QTY2                                                   NUMBER(7)
 REQUEST_QTY3                                                   NUMBER(7)
 REQUEST_QTY4                                                   NUMBER(7)
 REQUEST_QTY5                                                   NUMBER(7)
 REQUEST_QTY6                                                   NUMBER(7)
 REQUEST_QTY7                                                   NUMBER(7)
 REQUEST_QTY8                                                   NUMBER(7)
 REQUEST_QTY9                                                   NUMBER(7)
 REQUEST_QTY10                                                  NUMBER(7)
 REQUEST_DOCK_DATE1                                             DATE
 REQUEST_DOCK_DATE2                                             DATE
 REQUEST_DOCK_DATE3                                             DATE
 REQUEST_DOCK_DATE4                                             DATE
 REQUEST_DOCK_DATE5                                             DATE
 REQUEST_DOCK_DATE6                                             DATE
 REQUEST_DOCK_DATE7                                             DATE
 REQUEST_DOCK_DATE8                                             DATE
 REQUEST_DOCK_DATE9                                             DATE
 REQUEST_DOCK_DATE10                                            DATE
 ACT_DOCK_DATE1                                                 DATE
 ACT_DOCK_DATE2                                                 DATE
 ACT_DOCK_DATE3                                                 DATE
 ACT_DOCK_DATE4                                                 DATE
 ACT_DOCK_DATE5                                                 DATE
 ACT_DOCK_DATE6                                                 DATE
 ACT_DOCK_DATE7                                                 DATE
 ACT_DOCK_DATE8                                                 DATE
 ACT_DOCK_DATE9                                                 DATE
 ACT_DOCK_DATE10                                                DATE
 UM1                                                            CHAR(4)
 UM2                                                            CHAR(4)
 UM3                                                            CHAR(4)
 UM4                                                            CHAR(4)
 UM5                                                            CHAR(4)
 UM6                                                            CHAR(4)
 UM7                                                            CHAR(4)
 UM8                                                            CHAR(4)
 UM9                                                            CHAR(4)
 UM10                                                           CHAR(4)
 REQ_PART_NBR1                                                  CHAR(25)
 REQ_PART_NBR2                                                  CHAR(25)
 REQ_PART_NBR3                                                  CHAR(25)
 REQ_PART_NBR4                                                  CHAR(25)
 REQ_PART_NBR5                                                  CHAR(25)
 REQ_PART_NBR6                                                  CHAR(25)
 REQ_PART_NBR7                                                  CHAR(25)
 REQ_PART_NBR8                                                  CHAR(25)
 REQ_PART_NBR9                                                  CHAR(25)
 REQ_PART_NBR10                                                 CHAR(25)
 DESC1
VARCHAR2(250)
 DESC2
VARCHAR2(250)
 DESC3
VARCHAR2(250)
 DESC4
VARCHAR2(250)
 DESC5
VARCHAR2(250)
 DESC6
VARCHAR2(250)
 DESC7
VARCHAR2(250)
 DESC8
VARCHAR2(250)
 DESC9
VARCHAR2(250)
 DESC10
VARCHAR2(250)
 UNIT_COST1                                                     NUMBER(15,4)
 UNIT_COST2                                                     NUMBER(15,4)
 UNIT_COST3                                                     NUMBER(15,4)
 UNIT_COST4                                                     NUMBER(15,4)
 UNIT_COST5                                                     NUMBER(15,4)
 UNIT_COST6                                                     NUMBER(15,4)
 UNIT_COST7                                                     NUMBER(15,4)
 UNIT_COST8                                                     NUMBER(15,4)
 UNIT_COST9                                                     NUMBER(15,4)
 UNIT_COST10                                                    NUMBER(15,4)
 TOTAL                                                          NUMBER(15,4)
 MANAGER                                                        VARCHAR2(40)
 DIRECTOR                                                       VARCHAR2(40)
 DAN                                                            VARCHAR2(40)
 STEVE                                                          VARCHAR2(40)
 BUYER                                                          CHAR(30)
 DENIED                                                         CHAR(1)
 SUPPLIER                                                       CHAR(30)
 BUYER_SIG                                                      VARCHAR2(50)
 BUYER_DATE                                                     DATE
 TAX_STATUS                                                     VARCHAR2(10)
 CONFIRM_WITH                                                   VARCHAR2(50)
 SHIP_VIA                                                       VARCHAR2(50)
 TRANSPORT_TRMS_CD                                              CHAR(3)
 FOB                                                            VARCHAR2(50)
 FOB_TERMS_CODE                                                 CHAR(3)
 ACTUAL_COST1                                                   NUMBER(15,4)
 ACTUAL_COST2                                                   NUMBER(15,4)
 ACTUAL_COST3                                                   NUMBER(15,4)
 ACTUAL_COST4                                                   NUMBER(15,4)
 ACTUAL_COST5                                                   NUMBER(15,4)
 ACTUAL_COST6                                                   NUMBER(15,4)
 ACTUAL_COST7                                                   NUMBER(15,4)
 ACTUAL_COST8                                                   NUMBER(15,4)
 ACTUAL_COST9                                                   NUMBER(15,4)
 ACTUAL_COST10                                                  NUMBER(15,4)
 ACTUAL_QTY1                                                    NUMBER(7)
 ACTUAL_QTY2                                                    NUMBER(7)
 ACTUAL_QTY3                                                    NUMBER(7)
 ACTUAL_QTY4                                                    NUMBER(7)
 ACTUAL_QTY5                                                    NUMBER(7)
 ACTUAL_QTY6                                                    NUMBER(7)
 ACTUAL_QTY7                                                    NUMBER(7)
 ACTUAL_QTY8                                                    NUMBER(7)
 ACTUAL_QTY9                                                    NUMBER(7)
 ACTUAL_QTY10                                                   NUMBER(7)
 EXT_COST1                                                      NUMBER(15,4)
 EXT_COST2                                                      NUMBER(15,4)
 EXT_COST3                                                      NUMBER(15,4)
 EXT_COST4                                                      NUMBER(15,4)
 EXT_COST5                                                      NUMBER(15,4)
 EXT_COST6                                                      NUMBER(15,4)
 EXT_COST7                                                      NUMBER(15,4)
 EXT_COST8                                                      NUMBER(15,4)
 EXT_COST9                                                      NUMBER(15,4)
 EXT_COST10                                                     NUMBER(15,4)
 MISC_SIG                                                       VARCHAR2(50)
 RECVD_LINE1                                                    VARCHAR2(1)
 RECVD_LINE2                                                    VARCHAR2(1)
 RECVD_LINE3                                                    VARCHAR2(1)
 RECVD_LINE4                                                    VARCHAR2(1)
 RECVD_LINE5                                                    VARCHAR2(1)
 RECVD_LINE6                                                    VARCHAR2(1)
 RECVD_LINE7                                                    VARCHAR2(1)
 RECVD_LINE8                                                    VARCHAR2(1)
 RECVD_LINE9                                                    VARCHAR2(1)
 RECVD_LINE10                                                   VARCHAR2(1)
 FULL_RECVD                                                     VARCHAR2(1)
 COMMENTS
VARCHAR2(500)
 RECVD_DATE                                                     DATE
 RECVD_DATE2                                                    DATE
 RECVD_DATE3                                                    DATE
 RECVD_DATE4                                                    DATE
 RECVD_DATE5                                                    DATE
 RECVD_DATE6                                                    DATE
 RECVD_DATE7                                                    DATE
 RECVD_DATE8                                                    DATE
 RECVD_DATE9                                                    DATE
 RECVD_DATE10                                                   DATE
 SENT_TO_CINCOM                                                 DATE

YIKES!!! Thanks for the feedback,

Jeff

Author: David L Phillips
  INET: dphillip_at_dci-usa.com

Author: Eberhard, Jeff
  INET: Jeff.Eberhard_at_Rolls-RoyceGS.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Author: Eberhard, Jeff
  INET: Jeff.Eberhard_at_Rolls-RoyceGS.com