RE: Possible to dynamically remove hints?

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:33:55 -0800

Rich,

        I've been ignoring this thread sin e my knee jerk reaction is NO WAY. But since it has hit the top of the mail pile I gave it a read.

        What you've bumped/rammed into is a case of the vendor not doing testing on a production grade volume of data. Believe me I've got two vendors with that problem, PeopleSoft and Etrade. Is there a way to get around it, not really other than by banging away at the vendor as you have been. I'd also not expect any improvement anytime soon. Dennis is right, most of these vendors have no idea of what their doing to the database, and worse yet they don't care. Their main consideration is does the application work without errors in test and is the data as expected. Anything else is "outside of scope". Worse yet, if you poke them properly and persistently you may find that the application is not being written for Oracle in the first place. One of mine is written for Access and then "ported" to Oracle. AWS%$#!!!

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Author: Goulet, Dick
  INET: DGoulet_at_vicr.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Apr 11 2003 - 11:33:55 CDT