Re: A Tale of Two Servers...

From: Daniel W. Fink <optimaldba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 08:53:48 -0800

 From my testing, unless the tables are partitioned, clustering of data has a very limited impact on I/O activity. If the tables/indexes are the same sizes and have the same statistical values in each system, the only missing piece would be the data distribution.

The time is right for running sql_trace at level 12 and checking the raw trace file. That should tell you if the change in I/O is spread across all of the objects or if there is one object that is completely skewing the results.

Are you sure the stats are accurate? Is there a bug associated with the version of RH or the processor?

Here's a wild idea...was there other activity on the tables/indexes at the time the query was being run? Perhaps the I/O differences were the result of read consistency generation?
And another ... could the number of buffer cache chains be different enough to cause the system to have to walk the chain to a great depth?

--
Daniel W. Fink
http://www.optimaldba.com

IOUG-A Live! April 27 - May 1, 2003 Orlando, FL
   Sunday, April 27 8:30am - 4:30pm - Problem Solving with Oracle 9i SQL
   Thursday, May 1 1:00pm - 2:00pm - Automatic Undo Internals

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Daniel W. Fink INET: optimaldba_at_yahoo.com Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).