RE: RMAN Catalog: 1 vs. many - Opinions

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:55:59 -0800

Deepak

   I think your list looks good. As I recall, the RMAN catalog must be the same version as the databases it is backing (or newer). So one advantage of separate catalogs would be that you aren't forced to upgrade your entire RMAN process to a new version just because you upgraded one of your databases. Suppose, for example your system administrators say they would have to upgrade the operating system of the RMAN catalog platform, and they can't do that right away?

   When you say that many catalogs eliminates a single point of failure, perhaps you could elaborate. Do you mean you would have a single backup server that would host all the RMAN catalogs?

   I would repeat my suggestion that you consider a non-catalog RMAN system. In Oracle8i Oracle seemed to say you really should only consider using a catalog. In Oracle9i a lot of features that previously were available only if a catalog was used were made available to control file backups. There are a lot of people that are now asking whether they really need to bother with a catalog. I currently use a catalog for our production backups but I am seriously considering control file backups on future systems.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com