RE: Technician having to play politics

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 09:29:06 -0800

Paula - I think this is the DBA's quandary. By nature we are really good technicians, and we enjoy being really important to the organization, and like to be paid well for our efforts. But sometimes the baggage is that we need to communicate to non-technical people and this can be a problem. Recently my wife had some minor surgery and afterwards the surgeon came out and explained it all to me. He was really into describing some aspects of what he'd done and it suddenly struck me "is that what we sometimes sound like to users?".

   The most revealing book I've recently read is an oldie "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. This is very close to what Rachel's response. To save you some time, here are the nuggets I gleaned from this book:

  1. We all tend to justify ourselves in our own eyes. We are the hero of our own movie. This is why trying to say something critical to someone usually the response isn't "Oh my gosh how could I have been so stupid?" No, the normal response is more to think "that big idiot doesn't realize how perfect I am."
  2. Really care about the people you work with. When people really feel you care about them, your relationship is likely to be much better. I think technical people are particularly vulnerable in this area. We are often accused to treating people like we treat computers. When we need information from someone, we simply walk up, and request the information. Sometimes people feel "used".

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Apr 07 2003 - 12:29:06 CDT