OT: Technician having to play politics

From: <Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 11:28:39 -0800

Dear Ann (hehe),

Previous to this assignment I have been considered to be principled about technology but reasonable and pragmatic. At this assignment I was given a big send up and there were some real insecurities already in-place from people put into high-level IT jobs without any real IT experience. I was told to take a proactive role (at first) and I did but I feel that this has only caused more resentment - plus I am not the best e-mail writer in the universe and e-mail can lead to miscommunications. Now, I look back at the last 3 years and realize that unconsciously people hear me with a certain perspective - miss know-it-all, technical geek -B*. Outside of my job I am considered patient, team-playing, caretaker type. I realize that the one thing I need to do is use this opportunity to hone my personal skills and I am not a person to easily give-up (worked one place for 10 years, married high-school sweetheart, dedicated wife, mother, daughter of elderly parents). However, with a bad start and the last 3 years of dodging more personal missiles then I can think of (including being personally insulted in meetings with users - something I would never do to another) I don't know what to do. The IT market is pretty stiff and right now I have 2 small children, a husband and elderly parents relying on me and my income. Sometimes I feel that what I am feeling could be somewhat due to the tightening market and insecure overall economy and the fact that this particular organization has not had a strong CIO for the last 7 years - leading to more emphasis on political positioning (wow - learning much more about politics then I ever wanted to know) and that I am not alone. This environment I have used to temper my standards and responses, got Oracle OCP after holding out for 8 years, heck considering to write a book on the IT government industry - kind of a parody in light of P.J. O'Rourke. Please understand that not everyone in this environment has these issues. In otherwords, I am not Schizophrenic feeling everyone is against me. However, this environment is not balanced and so the moderate, objective voices seem to get lost in the storm. So I am trying to find a way to turn this whole thing around - I believe there is one person especially who is at the heart of this. Others have reported this as so. I do not wish to cause this person any harm. I just want to turn this thing around without having to get another job. I would like to see a win-win. My dream is to work with other technical professionals to development products of lasting quality that really address business needs. I have something significant invested in the users here, the technology, the other technicians and management. Any ideas/advice?

  INET: Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Sun Apr 06 2003 - 14:28:39 CDT