RE: RMAN Catalog: 1 vs. many - Opinions

From: K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 20:38:56 -0800

Gaja:

Having dedicated RMAN server is indeed a good idea, but RMAN catalog is not designed for that much (!!?) high concurrency. If you look at the commands (executed by the RMAN during backup) very closely, you will see lots of SELECT for UPDATE and this will cause a big bottleneck in the backup process.

It happened at one of our client place where they backup 200+ databases with a single RMAN catalog at 2-3 hrs interval. The workaround suggested was a) Have more RMAN Catalogs
b) Run the backup in different times.

So again it 'all depends '

Best Regards,
K Gopalakrishnan