RE: Cannot allocate new log - checkpoint not complete

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 07:13:55 -0800

Fermin,

The "checkpoint incomplete" message is a statement that your DBWR is not keeping up with the pace of redo generation. You can try to "paint over the problem" by adding redo log files. This works when you create enough redo log file space that your peak redo generation event concludes before your system needs to reuse an online redo log file.

The real root cause of this problem is that your DBWR is unable to keep up. Often, this occurs because DBWR has to compete with high I/O loads to your database files. Probably the most common cause of that high I/O load is one or more nasty SQL queries hammering on the device(s).

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com

Upcoming events:

- Hotsos Clinic 101 in Chicago, London, Reykjavik, Ottawa, Denver
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...
- IOUG-A Live 2003, Orlando, 10am Monday 28 April: "Oracle Operational
Timing Data"

Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=
  INET: hamcdc_at_yahoo.co.uk

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS