Oracle FAQ Your Portal to the Oracle Knowledge Grid
HOME | ASK QUESTION | ADD INFO | SEARCH | E-MAIL US
 

Home -> Community -> Mailing Lists -> Oracle-L -> Re: oracle full table scan

Re: oracle full table scan

From: Igor Neyman <ineyman_at_perceptron.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 06:08:37 -0800
Message-ID: <F001.0057A48C.20030404060837@fatcity.com>


Would you please?

Igor Neyman, OCP DBA
ineyman_at_perceptron.com

> Sorry, the attachments didn't make it, though they were only text.
>
> I can put them some accessible via the web if anyone wants them.
>
> Jared
>
>
>
>
>
> Jared.Still_at_radisys.com
> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
> 04/03/2003 11:34 AM
> Please respond to ORACLE-L
>
>
> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> cc:
> Subject: RE: oracle full table scan
>
>
> If you can change it to an IOT, it may be beneficial.
>
> There's no blanket clause to be used that says 'Always do this'.
>
> I higly encourage folks on this list to setup and use the run_stats
> method of comparing different access methods. This is something
> Tom Kyte put together. It is very simple to use.
>
> URL: http://osi.oracle.com/~tkyte/runstats.html
>
> I've attached my versions of the scripts for your convenience.
>
> You can use these to easily compare unindexed vs indexed
> reads on small tables, indexed vs IOT, etc.
>
> Jared
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> "Jamadagni, Rajendra" <Rajendra.Jamadagni_at_espn.com>
> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
> 04/03/2003 10:05 AM
> Please respond to ORACLE-L
>
>
> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
> <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> cc:
> Subject: RE: oracle full table scan
>
>
> Thanks Jared,
> What if my developer is selecting all or most of the records from the
> table and not all the columns in the select list are in the index that
> should have been used?
> I understand your point, in fact to use Jonathan's words .. "should a
> small lookup table BE an index (IOT)?" ... I am testing this approach here
>
> and have found some performance benefit out of it.
> Cheers
> Raj
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------



>
> Rajendra dot Jamadagni at nospamespn dot com
> All Views expressed in this email are strictly personal.
> QOTD: Any clod can have facts, having an opinion is an art !
>
> -----Original Message-----
> Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 1:01 PM
> To: ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
> Cc: Jamadagni, Rajendra
> Importance: High
>
> Raj,
> Indexing small tables is a good thing if you are doing single row lookups.
>
> An index read and lookup by rowid is much more scalable than
> doing an FTS, even if the table is only 2 blocks.
> Jared
>
>
>
>
>
>
> The previous attachment was filtered out by the ListGuru mailing
> software at fatcity.com because binary attachments are not appropriate
> for mailing lists. If you want a copy of the attachment which was
> removed, contact the sender directly and ask for it to be sent to
> you by private E-mail.
>
> This warning is inserted into all messages containing binary
> attachments which have been removed by ListGuru. If you have questions
> about this message, contact Postmaster_at_fatcity.com for clarification.
> The previous attachment was filtered out by the ListGuru mailing
> software at fatcity.com because binary attachments are not appropriate
> for mailing lists. If you want a copy of the attachment which was
> removed, contact the sender directly and ask for it to be sent to
> you by private E-mail.
>
> This warning is inserted into all messages containing binary
> attachments which have been removed by ListGuru. If you have questions
> about this message, contact Postmaster_at_fatcity.com for clarification.
> The previous attachment was filtered out by the ListGuru mailing
> software at fatcity.com because binary attachments are not appropriate
> for mailing lists. If you want a copy of the attachment which was
> removed, contact the sender directly and ask for it to be sent to
> you by private E-mail.
>
> This warning is inserted into all messages containing binary
> attachments which have been removed by ListGuru. If you have questions
> about this message, contact Postmaster_at_fatcity.com for clarification.
> The previous attachment was filtered out by the ListGuru mailing
> software at fatcity.com because binary attachments are not appropriate
> for mailing lists. If you want a copy of the attachment which was
> removed, contact the sender directly and ask for it to be sent to
> you by private E-mail.
>
> This warning is inserted into all messages containing binary
> attachments which have been removed by ListGuru. If you have questions
> about this message, contact Postmaster_at_fatcity.com for clarification.
> The previous attachment was filtered out by the ListGuru mailing
> software at fatcity.com because binary attachments are not appropriate
> for mailing lists. If you want a copy of the attachment which was
> removed, contact the sender directly and ask for it to be sent to
> you by private E-mail.
>
> This warning is inserted into all messages containing binary
> attachments which have been removed by ListGuru. If you have questions
> about this message, contact Postmaster_at_fatcity.com for clarification.
>
>
>


> The previous attachment was filtered out by the ListGuru mailing
> software at fatcity.com because binary attachments are not appropriate
> for mailing lists. If you want a copy of the attachment which was
> removed, contact the sender directly and ask for it to be sent to
> you by private E-mail.
>
> This warning is inserted into all messages containing binary
> attachments which have been removed by ListGuru. If you have questions
> about this message, contact Postmaster_at_fatcity.com for clarification.
>



> The previous attachment was filtered out by the ListGuru mailing
> software at fatcity.com because binary attachments are not appropriate
> for mailing lists. If you want a copy of the attachment which was
> removed, contact the sender directly and ask for it to be sent to
> you by private E-mail.
>
> This warning is inserted into all messages containing binary
> attachments which have been removed by ListGuru. If you have questions
> about this message, contact Postmaster_at_fatcity.com for clarification.
>



> The previous attachment was filtered out by the ListGuru mailing
> software at fatcity.com because binary attachments are not appropriate
> for mailing lists. If you want a copy of the attachment which was
> removed, contact the sender directly and ask for it to be sent to
> you by private E-mail.
>
> This warning is inserted into all messages containing binary
> attachments which have been removed by ListGuru. If you have questions
> about this message, contact Postmaster_at_fatcity.com for clarification.
>



> The previous attachment was filtered out by the ListGuru mailing
> software at fatcity.com because binary attachments are not appropriate
> for mailing lists. If you want a copy of the attachment which was
> removed, contact the sender directly and ask for it to be sent to
> you by private E-mail.
>
> This warning is inserted into all messages containing binary
> attachments which have been removed by ListGuru. If you have questions
> about this message, contact Postmaster_at_fatcity.com for clarification.
>



> The previous attachment was filtered out by the ListGuru mailing
> software at fatcity.com because binary attachments are not appropriate
> for mailing lists. If you want a copy of the attachment which was
> removed, contact the sender directly and ask for it to be sent to
> you by private E-mail.
>
> This warning is inserted into all messages containing binary
> attachments which have been removed by ListGuru. If you have questions
> about this message, contact Postmaster_at_fatcity.com for clarification.
>

-- 
Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net
-- 
Author: Igor Neyman
  INET: ineyman_at_perceptron.com

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message
to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in
the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L
(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may
also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).
Received on Fri Apr 04 2003 - 08:08:37 CST

Original text of this message

HOME | ASK QUESTION | ADD INFO | SEARCH | E-MAIL US