RE: dbshut script - shutdown or shutdown immediate

From: Pardee, Roy E <roy.e.pardee_at_lmco.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 06:38:41 -0800

I am certainly not suggesting that recovery can't handle a crash--I'm just trying to make sure that I understand what shutdown abort does. Some posts have implied that it's no big deal, which is counter-intuitive to me. To me, crashing a program on purpose seems like a drastic measure. No doubt desperate times can call for desperate measures, but I would have guessed that optimally, you'd try immediate first & then abort if immediate takes too long. But I'm just learning this stuff...

Cheers,

-Roy

Roy Pardee
Programmer/Analyst