Re: dbshut script - shutdown or shutdown immediate

From: Chris Berry <compjma_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 15:04:43 -0800

>From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton_at_speakeasy.net>
>On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Chris Berry wrote:
>
> > Shutdown abort is pretty drastic, are you sure shutdown immediate
> > didn't work?
>
>What is drastic about shutdown abort?
>
>Never one to opt out of a shutdown abort thread,
>--
>Jeremiah Wilton
>http://www.speakeasy.net/~jwilton
>
>- Uses shutdown abort exclusively
>- successful shutdowns/startups: over 10,000
>- problems with shutdown abort: 0
>- versions used: 7.3.2.3 - 10.0 (yes I have a pre-beta)
>- still employed!

Well, you have way more experience than me in this subject so do it how you like. I was under the impression that telling the database to drop everything was not the best practice, and should only be used when shutdown immediate didn't work. To me it seemed the same as turning off your computer with the power button instead of the shutdown command or using kill -9, sometimes you have to, but it's not what you do normally.

Chris Berry
compjma_at_hotmail.com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." -- Duke Leto Atreides

Author: Chris Berry
  INET: compjma_at_hotmail.com