Re: dbshut script - shutdown or shutdown immediate

From: Chris Berry <compjma_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 13:22:29 -0800

>sqlplus

> > >From: Joan Hsieh <joan.hsieh_at_tufts.edu>
> > >Peter,
> > >I modified to shutdown abort, starup then shutdown immediate.
> >
> > Shutdown abort is pretty drastic, are you sure shutdown immediate didn't
> > work?

>From: Joan Hsieh <joan.hsieh_at_tufts.edu>
>At first, we do shutdown immediate, then startup. But we do have couple
>times hang there and couldn't do the cold backup. Since changed to
>shutdown abort, startup and shutdown immediate, we don't have any
>problem at all. our database is in archive mode. Since our production
>database has to refresh to reporting database nightly. I couldn't do
>checkpoint before shutdown abort. (some error, forgot on reporting
>database) otherwise, I will add to it.

If it's hanging on the startup I recommend trying this:

shutdown immediate
startup nomount
alter database mount
alter database open

You should get an error message at one of those steps that will lead you to the real problem.

Chris Berry
compjma_at_hotmail.com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." -- Duke Leto Atreides

Author: Chris Berry
  INET: compjma_at_hotmail.com