RE: Oracle Job Task Analysis

From: Scott <oraracdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 07:03:37 -0800

John, That is a good question. What is the purpose of this task Analysis?

I am trying to see what most DBA's perceive as what is the most important things to learn so you can manage an Oracle Database.

An example would be Learning Oracle Architecture. If you are a small, medium or large company, Architecture is probably the most important.

Within the Oracle Architecture what is the most important for me to learn to job.

Learning the SGA structures and how to size them. Learning the physical structures of the database and how to manage them.

So if you wanted to be a DBA with Oracle what major Oracle components do think you need know to accomplish that job and what sub-components are important?

If I was a DBA in a company that does a lot of interne t activity what do I need to know? If I run a 7X24 shop what do I need to know and so on.

Small, medium and Large companies will require a base knowledge and as you get more niche you will need to understand other components of Oracle. We also need to look at what is niche. RAC is niche but becoming more mainstream. What do I need to know to run a HA shop, however Context, XML and Spatial are in the database, while these are niche they are as common as RAC.

So what I am looking for is what people perceive to be the most common components needed to do their Job. Another interesting question is do I need to learn how to create the database and other database objects using manual methods or do I use DBCA and EM to do my job. Is knowing the GUI sufficient for me to be a DBA?

These are why I am asking these questions. I really want to know what you really need to know right down to you only need to know it if you implement the option.

Does this help?

Scott

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Tax Center - File online, calculators, forms, and more http://tax.yahoo.com