Re: How to use small oracle database in my program

From: G Stauffer <stauffer_at_swarthmore.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 06:48:37 -0800

Mark Richard wrote:

>I think the answer will depend slightly on your operating platform and
>intended use of the product... But the generic answer is No.
>
>I have never heard of "just the engine" for Oracle... Essentially Oracle
>is just an engine, there's not much you could remove and still have a
>functioning product unless you strip features like partitioning.

Some time ago, Oracle tinkered with a database engine for single-user java applications. Might have been 8i based. It was available in beta form, but I don't know if they ever released it. We had given it some thought as a data engine for standalone apps for some remote traveling users since it had the capability of being synched with a data source.

>I believe Oracle is free for some platforms - Linux comes to mind, but I
>believe this may be limited to non-commercial use.

Oracle is free to download and try, but its not free to deploy.

Search the net and you'll find a bunch of embedded sql database options from Borland's Interbase to CodeBase. Those are commercial products, but I'll bet you could find a couple of cross-platform free offerings.

Glenn

Author: G Stauffer
  INET: stauffer_at_swarthmore.edu