RE: how to calculate table size

From: Fermin Bernaus Berraondo <fbernaus_at_sammic.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 23:28:47 -0800

        I've been using this query for both normal and empty tables and works so far.

        For those tables with no data in them (or that have suffered no deletion) you can ommit the second query since the table should not have any emptied block. Emptied blocks are those who have been occupied by data from the table but that have been deleted; for these, Oracle marks them as deleted but are still asigned to a table. I do not know if you want to consider this free space as part of the table or not.

        There is a way to deallocate unused space to a table that has been previously used. You must use 'alter table ... deallocate' for that. You have explanations on this in the manual, check:

        http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A91202_01/901_doc/server.901/a90125/statements_32.htm#2080417

        I am sending this mail to the list as well, I am a learner and do not consider myself an expert, maybe someone else can join and comment something.

Author: Basavaraja, Ravindra
  INET: Ravindra.Basavaraja_at_T-Mobile.com

Author: Fermin Bernaus Berraondo
  INET: fbernaus_at_sammic.com

Author: Fermin Bernaus Berraondo
  INET: fbernaus_at_sammic.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Apr 02 2003 - 01:28:47 CST