Re: Perl DBD::Oracle - discontinuing support for Oracle 7 and Oraperl?

From: <Charlie_Mengler_at_HomeDepot.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 13:33:57 -0800

A V9.2 DB can't/won't talk to a V7 DB, and vice versa.

So we were "forced" into using a V8.1.7 DB as the "middle man". It works for low volume transactions.

                      Tim Bunce
                      <Tim.Bunce_at_pobox.        To:       Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                      com>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Perl DBD::Oracle - discontinuing support for Oracle 7 and Oraperl?
                      root_at_fatcity.com

                      04/01/2003 12:58
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      ORACLE-L

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 10:08:31AM -0800, Jared.Still_at_radisys.com wrote:
> Tim,
>
> Personally, I have a few v7 db's around. My DBD interaction with them
> however
> is limited to logging on to the database just to make sure it's still up.
>
> Would removing OCI7 support include removing the ability to logon to a v7
db?

You can login to whatever the oracle client libs you link with will let you log into. For v8 libs that includes v7. I did hear recently that v9.x no longer lets you connect to v7.

You could always keep a copy of DBD::Oracle 1.14 for use with Oracle 7. Just install it into a different directory.

Tim.

Author: Tim Bunce
  INET: Tim.Bunce_at_pobox.com

  INET: Charlie_Mengler_at_HomeDepot.com