RE: Upgrade from Oracle 10.7 char to 11.5.8 HP-UX 11.00

From: Nelson, Allan <anelson_at_midf.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 10:19:38 -0800

We did something very close to this in November of last year. We have the same OS and hardware. We were also character mode however we differed in that we used GEMMS for process manufacturing rather than discrete manufacturing in Oracle. We also had some customization. Our database was a little larger than yours at 98 GB. We were also at 7.3.4.5. We went to 11.5.7 rather than 11.5.8

The most important thing that we did right as I look on it in retrospect was that we did the full migration 3 times before we did it for real on one long weekend that started on Thursday afternoon and ended on Sunday morning. Two of the practice runs were functional in nature and the third was a full dress rehersal to establish that we could get it done in the predicted time frame. The practice helps in finding patches and things that don't work as advertised. In particualar, you will face some necessity to change business processes as 11i is not exactly the same as 10.7, so you must involve your users in the practice runs. Be prepared to have your database double on you as you go. We went from 98GB to now 230GB.

We had to split the tiers to avoid buying all new hardware. We currently run on an N4000 as the apps tier with 10GB of RAM and 4 CPU's of the 440MHz flavor. We had an RP7200 that was originally the sole machine for Fin Apps which is now the DB server. We added 2 CPU's to get to 6 and we added 6Gb of RAM to get to 12GB. We have about 130 concurrent users. We used rough estimates of about 20MB per form for each user.

This is not really a Fin Apps list so I will defer more discussion to e-mail. I can be reached as anelson_at_nospam.midf.com with the obvious exclusion.

Allan

Author: M Rafiq
  INET: rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com

This email is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Copying, forwarding or distributing this message by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer. This email may have been monitored for policy compliance. [021216]

Author: Nelson, Allan
  INET: anelson_at_midf.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Apr 01 2003 - 12:19:38 CST