RE: How to prevent single point-of_failure with ONAMES

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 07:18:38 -0800

Wierd. Our primary ONAMES server is 8.0.5 on OpenVMS, with the Region DB being on the same box. Our secondary ONAMES server is 9.2.0.2 on WinTuke using the same Region DB as the primary (amazing that 9iR2 can still use an 8.0.5 Region DB). Yes, we are working on "upgrading" this config, despite it being extremely stable due to non-support by Oracle Corp.

One upon a time, a controller on the primary ONAMES / region DB server puked, causing the server to crash. While it was down, all Oracle Net connections eventually failed over to the secondary ONAMES server, which was indeed using the local checkpoint files for names resolution. It worked well with the only downside being that the clients had to wait for a TCP/IP timeout on the primary ONAMES server until it failed over to the secondary, but at least connections were able to be made.

So when your primary failed the secondary/tertiary failed, too??? You stated that they wouldn't start, as though they hadn't been running. If they hadn't been running, there's probably no local checkpoint files, which I would think would prevent them from starting successfully. Were there any error messages?

Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse_at_qtiworld.com           Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Apr 01 2003 - 09:18:38 CST