RE: Rman disk and tape work

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 11:35:26 -0800

Brian - I'm still not clear on what you're trying to accomplish here. Usually I feel that RMAN has better information than I do. With automated systems like RMAN, trying to override them is usually not a good idea. I don't think there is a direct command to do what you ask. Some other ideas:

   Usually if the catalog database is down when you need to do a backup, then you simply manually trigger a backup later. If this is a nagging problem, I would consider shifting to control file backups. What if your catalog is unavailable when you need to do a recovery? Now that is a problem!!

   If you are concerned that the control file will have backup information the catalog won't, the first thing I would try is RESYNC CATALOG and see if the control file backups are populated to the catalog. Would be easy to try. If that doesn't work, you can manually add the control file backups to the catalog.

   Do you have Robert Freeman's book Oracle9i RMAN Backup & Recovery?

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Spears, Brian
  INET: BSpears_at_Limitedbrands.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Author: Spears, Brian
  INET: BSpears_at_Limitedbrands.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Mar 31 2003 - 13:35:26 CST