Populating VARCHAR2 with LONG data...

From: Gujral, Harpal S. <HGujral_at_oxhp.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 07:08:42 -0800

Hello Guys,

We have a requirement to add a VARCHAR2 column to an existing table which is a part of an application and also has a LONG column with data in it. Without using PL/SQL, how can we create the new VARCHAR2 column and "default" it to the LONG column data?

The idea is all future inserts and updates made to the LONG column by the application, should get reflected in the VARCHAR2 column. We need to use this new VARCHAR2 column for reporting and use a WHERE clause on the column to filter data.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Harpal

Author: Gujral, Harpal S.
  INET: HGujral_at_oxhp.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Mar 31 2003 - 09:08:42 CST