RE: may not be necessary -- was RE: Oracle DB Backups on SAN

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 07:13:36 -0800

Chris,

What I plan to do is to issue the series of ALTER TABLESPACE BEGIN BACKUP
commands, to cover all the tablespaces, _before_ the Snaphshot is created
and then issue the ALTER TABLESPACE END BACKUP commands, without
using the ALTER SYSTEM SUSPEND.

I will be referring to http://www.hds.com/pdf/ods.pdf
for the outline of the backup procedure.

I wonder if you could send me the Hitachi SAN and Oracle DB scripts
in use at your site, or any notes on them ?

Hemant
At 10:03 AM 28-03-03 -0800, you wrote:

We use the 'shadow mirror' process on a Hitachi SAN (with
Oracle 8.1.7 on Solaris 8 and Veritas VxFS) successfully to refresh
our development db without a suspend, or even hot backup mode.

After the hair that I didn't pull out turned gray (though
I am not willing to detail the incompetence on a semi-public
list), we got the hardware/file system set up correctly and
we have done this several times with no trouble.

One issue I had with Hitachi support was that they insisted I
had to suspend the database at the time of the split when we
were seeing data corruption that was clearly unrelated to Oracle
behavior. It turned out to be low level misconfiguration, I believe
at the Veritas file system level. I never got a satisfactory
explanation.

Here is my current (possibly inaccurate) understanding of the
process. I would be more than happy to be corrected on any of
the details.

The shadow mirror process is 'atomic' in the sense that there is
some kind of journaling so that when the mirror is split, it is
done so that the shadow is a copy of the disk at a particular
time, so it looks like the disk would look after a crash or a
shutdown abort. Oracle crash recovery has worked as advertised,
which is sufficient for our development db needs. If we do get a
bad mirror, we would be able to resync and resplit quickly. But
as I said, we've done this without incident at least 8 or 9
times. The only times we've had to resync and resplit were due
to human error.

If you are using Shadow mirror, and this is for backup purposes,
you may want the extra security of hot backup. But the mirror
split should not cause split blocks, so I'm not sure that it
would actually do much for you. To be honest, I haven't thought
through all the ramifications of using this as a backup method.

If you're not using Shadow mirror, but some other mirror method,
the above may not apply.

Hope this helps.
-Chris

Author: Sarnowski, Chris
  INET: csarnows@CuraGen.com

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services

Hemant K Chitale
My personal web site is :  http://hkchital.tripod.com

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Hemant K Chitale INET: hkchital@singnet.com.sg Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru@fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Sat Mar 29 2003 - 09:13:36 CST