Re[2]: utl_smtp error

From: Robert Eskridge <bryny_at_dfweahs.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 13:34:07 -0800

Joan,

MTA=Mail Transport Agent which is what routes and delivers mail usually using SMTP. On most Unix systems its some version of sendmail. Under windows it's often Exchange Server.

This is different from the MUA=Mail User Agent which is what the user uses to manipulate his mail. The MUA usually communicates with the MTA with protocols such as POP, IMAP, and MAPI. On Unix that could be mail, mailx, elm, xmail, and such. Under Windows it's often Outlook but could be anything.

-rje

Author: Robert Eskridge
  INET: bryny_at_dfweahs.net