RE: Oracle DB Backups on SAN with ALTER SYSTEM SUSPEND

From: Hand, Michael T <HANDM_at_polaroid.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 08:18:50 -0800

Jeremiah,

No, we don't use suspend since these split/hot backup scripts have been in use since V8.0 and I saw no advantage to using suspend. As you say, taking production out of action for no good reason. With regards to using a split controlfile, do you believe there is a difference between this and using a controlfile after a hard system crash? In both cases, consistency will depend on wheather a write to disk was ongoing or completed. I'll have to check with the guru to see if the split code would interrupt a write in progress. In the 4-5 years that we have been creating a reporting instance this way (on a daily basis), nearly all failures could be attributed to bad disks, and this instance is not critical.

On the other hand production backups use the same method. I checked my scripts and while the comments say I backup the controlfile, the code does not. I will definitely correct this. Thanks for emphasizing the need for a binary controlfile as part of a complete hot backup.

Mike Hand
Polaroid Corp.