RE: Configuring Oracle with RAID and OFA

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 07:48:59 -0800

Rachel

   I don't think you and I disagree at all. I'm learning that being a good DBA is as much about people skills as technical skills. I think the important point is that you did clearly point out to them the issues involved with a single RAID set. It doesn't hurt to write it down because people tend to recall verbal conversations differently (if at all).

   We run some smaller production databases on a single RAID set, but so far I've been able to at least keep a couple of things on a separate device. Recovery could be really bad if you lost all copies of your control files along with your single RAID device. But then, if all your archive logs were on that device, I suppose you wouldn't be doing a recovery to the point of failure anyway ;-)
Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com