may not be necessary -- was RE: Oracle DB Backups on SAN with

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 06:43:37 -0800

Jeremiah / Deborah,

My understanding is/was that the Snapshot creation wasn't atomic -- it can take "a little bit of time"
and, therefore, it becomes necessary to suspend I/O. Now, I haven't had a chance yet to speak to the Sun/Hitachi engineers and I am going
by what management has understood and conveyed to me -- that the database must be "quiesced". Hopefully, next week, I will be allowed to speak to the engineers before
they set up the SAN.

Reading Oracle's documentation in the Backup and Recovery guide "Using the Oracle8i SUSPEND/RESUME functionality, you can suspend I/O to the database, then split the mirror and make a backup of the split mirror. This feature, which complements the hot backup functionality, allows you to quiesce the database so that no new I/O can be performed. You can then access the suspended database to make backups without I/O interference. Note: Some RAID devices benefit from suspending writes while the split operation is occurring; your RAID vendor can advise you on whether your system would benefit from this feature.
"
and
"After a successful database suspension, you can back up the database to disk or break the mirrors. Because suspending a database does not guarantee immediate termination of I/O, Oracle recommends that you precede the SUSPEND statement with a BEGIN BACKUP statement to place the tablespaces in hot backup mode.

You must use conventional operating system backup methods to back up split mirrors. RMAN cannot make database backups or copies because these operations require reading the datafile headers. After the database backup is finished or the mirrors are re-silvered, then you can resume normal database operations using the RESUME statement.

Backing up a suspended database without splitting mirrors can cause an extended database outage because the database is inaccessible during this time. If backups are taken by splitting mirrors, however, then the outage is nominal. The outage time depends on the size of cache to flush, the number of datafiles, and the time required to break the mirror "

I did get the impression that a SUSPEND was necessary.

However, I have read a Hitachi document at http://www.hds.com/pdf/ods.pdf
and I think that a SUSPEND is not mandatory.

I will come back to the list when I get more information from the Sun/Hitachi engineers and see the scripts/script-templates that they will be providing.

Hemant

Author: Hemant K Chitale
  INET: hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg