Re: recovery

From: Darrell Landrum <DLANDRUM_at_zalecorp.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 15:03:36 -0800

I'm sure you'll get lots of help on this one, but the things that stand out to me are:
>>Should I restore the control files(of FEb 3) before starting the
recovery.?
Don't restore the control files from Feb. 3, you need them from the current time. Otherwise Oracle will not know it has recovery to do.

>>Should i restore redo log files?

Excecpt for control files you will need all files, data, redo, etc. from the Feb 3 backup.

Good luck with it.

>>> Ravindra.Basavaraja_at_T-Mobile.com 03/26/03 04:33PM >>>
Hi,

I have to recover my database back to 23-MAR-03.There was some changes to the data yesterday and cannot be reverted. We want to recover the data as of 23-MAR-03.Database is running on archive log mode and I have the hot backup datafiles of Feb 3 and all the archive logs since then till today.I know how to recover but to make sure that I don't miss anything i am posting this here.

1.Restore the data tablespace datafiles from the Feb 3rd backup.
2.Startup the database in MOUNT mode.
3.recover database until time "2003-03-23-12:00:00"
4.All the archive logs will get applied
5.Open the database with reset logs.I should go back by 3 days wrt to
data.
Am I missing anything.
My questions:
Should I restore the control files(of FEb 3) before starting the recovery.?
Should i restore redo log files?.I donot want the recent changes to be applied to my database after restoring till 23-MAR-03. Thanks
Author: Basavaraja, Ravindra
  INET: Ravindra.Basavaraja_at_T-Mobile.com

Author: Darrell Landrum
  INET: DLANDRUM_at_zalecorp.com