RE: Database Modeling- Normalization - Dinosaurs or What?

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:48:37 -0800

Paula - I deal with a lot of developers. I'll try to say this as charitably as I can. I think that sometimes people that come from a Microsoft background are a little insulated from the physical aspects of the system. I think they focus on following Microsoft procedures (reboot, if still broke, reinstall). Maybe data modeling isn't a part of the Microsoft curriculum, and therefore isn't important. The other aspect is that it often seems Microsoft focuses on the single-user paradigm, and many Microsoft developers simply treat a server as a PC on steroids. Anyway it is probably up to people like ourselves to educate them, so this is an excellent conversation. Maybe others have examples where they succeeded in educating some Microsoft-heads.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com <http://www.fatcity.com>

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net <http://www.orafaq.net>

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Mar 26 2003 - 16:48:37 CST