RE: Veritas Quick I/O for Oracle

From: Aponte, Tony <AponteT_at_hsn.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:08:50 -0800

Dennis,

The benefits of QIO are realized not only by Oracle but also by the storage administrators. Oracle improvements come from kernelized async I/O, elimination of UNIX double-buffering and single-writer file header locking in the O/S. Storage administrators gain from managing a cooked file system. It enables many online tasks (like provisioning for new storage on active file systems, restriping on the fly, wholesale relocation of databases) that are impossible or very painful and error prone with raw partitions. My group has a good relationship with UNIX SAs and we try help whenever we can.

However, it ain't a no-brainer. In pre-ODM environments QIO files have to be pre-created on the UNIX side before being added to the database, or the file offlined and enabled for QIO after the fact. It's a simple command line tool but it takes planning and preparation plus adjustments to existing procedures. Our biggest point of pain is during recoveries. In the thick of things we keep forgetting to pre-create the QIO files before restoring datafiles to an alternate location. The recoveries are successful but we pay a performance penalty until we negotiate downtime to QIO-enable the recovered files (which is really renaming the data file and creating a link with a specific pattern that triggers the code path for QIO handling.)

As for the speed claims coming from your salesperson, all I can say is that we get pretty close to raw speeds. I highly recommend it especially for online redo logs, and it's easy to revert to regular files if you change your mind.

HTH
Tony Aponte

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Author: Aponte, Tony
  INET: AponteT_at_hsn.net

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Mar 26 2003 - 16:08:50 CST