RE: Oracle DB Backups on SAN with ALTER SYSTEM SUSPEND

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 07:24:06 -0800

We want true server-less backups. I know that RMAN's overhead is [much] lower than that of the ALTER TABLESPACE BEGIN/END BACKUP but the Snapshot method in a SAN [akin to splitting and resilivering a mirror, in some ways]
should be much faster. The database is in BACKUP mode only for the time it takes the SAN to create the Snapshot which, I've been told, is seconds or minutes,
irrespective of the size of the database. [Of course, there will be some time lag
between the first ALTER TABLESPACE <tbs> BEGIN BACKUP and the ALTER SYSTEM SUSPEND command when the database will be doing a Checkpoint at each Tablespace, and writing more Redo for transactions upto the ALTER SYSTEM SUSPEND and will the END BACKUPs are still being issued.]

And I cannot use RMAN with the Snapshot method. I must SUSPEND the database and RMAN does not support that.

See
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76993/osbackup.htm#4233 "Making Backups in Suspend Mode" in Chapter 4 "Performing Operating System Backups"
of the 8i Backup and Recovery Guide.

Hemant