Re:Reorganizing tables

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 14:11:42 -0500

Dennis,

    We don't re-org tables, but we do rebuild indexes on occassion.

Dick Goulet

Subject: Reorganizing tables
Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM> Date: 3/24/2003 9:38 AM

We have a new manager, and at his last employer the DBAs reorganize Oracle tables on a regular basis. I don't reorg tables on a regular basis. He is lobbying us to investigate this and test whether it would or wouldn't increase performance. We are on Oracle 8.1.6, Compaq Tru64, all tables are LMT with uniform extents. This is an OLTP system, but the users continue to add reports and the reports do quite a few full table scans. The reports are probably the critical performance issue at this time.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com