Re: TABLE SIZE

From: Joerg Jost <jost_at_unitrade.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:38:10 +0100

On Thursday 20 March 2003 18:19, Hamid Alavi wrote:
> Dear List,

Hi,

> I have a question regarding Table size, I want to put the small size of
> tables in a small TBS,But don't know the size of table do I have to
> calculate the size for which period, Assume we want to keep the data for 5
> years so do I have to calculate the size of table for 5 years then decide
> if this table is in the range of small table or NOT.

two years ahead, we did the same.
In our application we have est. 350 Tables with a range of rows between 10 and 10.000.000.
Because of this and the fact that some of our customers use Oracle 7.3.4 we decided to split the different tables across 3 different tablespaces with fixed extent sizes.
It is very good described in the white paper from Oracle about fragmentation.

Here is the Link:
http://metalink.oracle.com/cgi-bin/cr/getfile_cr.cgi?239049

We decided to think about 1 year in the future for every table. One reason was the ability of Oracle 8.1.7 to move tables to another tablespace. The customers with Ora7 are forced to change the release to ORA8i. So we don´t need to expect the rowcount for 5 years, because of the fact, that new Oracle Releases often have new abilities dealing with such problems.

One example is of this fact is Ora8i and the local managed tablespaces. It´s worth to think about a solution with one ore more tablespaces with this feature enabled. We have very good experiences with this.

> Any Idea appreciate.
> Thanks,
>
> Hamid Alavi

hth