Re: Imaginary indexes created when setting CLOBs to null?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 08:09:18 -0000

The index name shows that this is the LOBINDEX. Each out of line LOB item is broken into CHUNKs, and a bitmap in the LOB (DATA) SEGMENT is used to map where in the SEGMENT there are free spaces that can take the CHUNKS, but there is also a LOBINDEX stored in the same tablespace that links together all the CHUNKS for a single LOB item.

Because of the way Oracle handles read-consistency of LOBs by versioning the LOBINDEX whilst leaving the data in place (until roughly PCTVERSION of the segment's current storage is holding old data), it is necessary for a 'convert to null' of a LOB to add entries to the LOBINDEX.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Now available One-day tutorials:
  Cost Based Optimisation
  Trouble-shooting and Tuning
  Indexing Strategies

(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html )

____UK_______April 8th
____UK_______April 22nd

____Denmark May 21-23rd

____USA_(FL)_May 2nd

Next dates for the 3-day seminar:
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )

____UK_(Manchester)_May
____USA_(CA, TX)_August

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

> We've been testing a new application in development using CLOBS.
The