Re:partitioning

From: Peter Barnett <regdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 06:23:00 -0800 (PST)

As we have discovered, hash partitioning does not always give you partition elimination nor does CBO always work as expected. One of our DBAs has a tar open with Oracle on this issue and we are finding that no one appears to understand the complete ramifications of using hash partitions when a query is run against large data sets.

In short, if you only care about getting data into a partition use hash partitioning. If some day you want to get data out you may want to look at another solution. Range partitioning might work depending on your data. Disk striping might work but consistently getting the right data to the right stipe is tricky business.

Pete Barnett
Lead Database Administrator
The Regence Group
pnbarne_at_regence.com