How do you document your databases

From: Ben <poelsb_at_post.queensu.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:04:31 -0500

Hi

How do you document your databases? The only DBA tool that I have at my disposal is Designer but I have not used it yet. Is it adequate to completely document the life cycle of a database design? I am sure it can create and retain pretty straight forward DDL. Does it allow build levels? What do you do with the DBA tinkering - things like which tablespace a table goes into, storage clauses, parameters like PCTFREE, PCTUSED,etc? Where do you document your pfile?

What about when you have to alter a table after the database is in production?
Do you document the alter script itself or do you go back and change the original DDL?

Then there are things like SQL*LDR control files, security (all the grants) and all the auditing that has been turned on. Where do you keep all this stuff? Thanks in advance for any advice. Received on Thu Mar 20 2003 - 14:04:31 CST