RE: Gather_system_stats

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:11:58 -0600

David

    Are you using RULE alone on your current system? Probably some of your queries will run faster and some will run slower if you switch to CBO. Guess which ones your users will complain about? My suggestion to avoid a riot at your cubicle is to try to identify the queries that will need tuning to work under CBO before you "bet the farm" on it. Do you have a test system? Compute statistics on that system and ask your users/developers to run their critical queries on this system and report to you the ones that have poor performance so you can sort out what you need to do.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com