Oracle REPLACE function and carriage returns

From: Hopper, Wendy S <wendy.hopper_at_eds.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:30:29 -0500

Hi all-

I am trying to write a query that strips carriage returns from a comment field while selecting the data to a file. I have used the following command -

select replace( field1, chr(10), '*' ) from table1;

The query seems to remove the carriage returns when returning the data via sqlplus, but when I spool the output to a file it still shows ^m followed by * in it. Any ideas on what is going on here?

Thanks for any help. Received on Wed Mar 19 2003 - 15:30:29 CST