RE: Usage of mySQL in enterprise environments

From: Weaver, Walt <wweaver_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:23:51 -0800

We're a big user of MySQL here and I wouldn't compare it to MS Access any more than I would compare Oracle to MS Access. MySQL has made great strides in the last couple of years and once InnoDB matures a bit it'll add a lot of features that MySQL currently lacks, like transaction processing.

Postgres is definitely more "Oracle-like" and we looked into it as a possible replacement for MySQL but stuck with MySQL for performance reasons (although some of the performance problems we had with Postgres might have been self-inflicted -- I won't go into details).

BTW, hot backups and roll-forward are, indeed, available with MySQL. We're also using MySQL's replication feature with great success.

I wouldn't be surprised if, in a couple of years, we drop Oracle completely and go 100% MySQL. Oracle's ridiculous pricing schemes and general lack of response to customers (or at least us) have frustrated us no end. Once MySQL/InnoDB matures a bit we'll have no reason to waste money on Oracle.

--Walt Weaver
  Bozeman, Montana

Author: Weaver, Walt
  INET: wweaver_at_rightnow.com