Re: ODBC access to Oracle db

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 07:04:30 -0800

Well......there's always the sneaky way....

Depending on which ODBC driver is in use, it will query data dictionary views so that the front-end tool (i.e. MS-Access, MS-Excel, etc) can display a list of objects. I recall that the Oracle-supplied ODBC drivers tend to start with ALL_OBJECTS while the MS-supplied ODBC drivers tend to start with CAT or CATALOG or something like that.

Now, if you're really intent on restricting what ODBC users do, you can create special versions of views like ALL_OBJECTS inside the accounts which use ODBC. Or, if you're really feeling frisky (and have some time), then using FGAC can give you a very versatile view that can adapt to conditions.

In the situation where you want to disable access, you'd have the customized special private view ALL_OBJECTS (used by the Oracle ODBC drivers) return no rows, effectively allowing the ODBC user to connect but be unabled to do anything.

In other situations, ODBC users get all hot and bothered about the thousands of synonyms and other objects typically visible in Oracle from a query against the standard ALL_OBJECTS view; admittedly it gets quite untidy. In that case, you might create the custom version of ALL_OBJECTS to clean up so they only see the stuff they want to see.

The possibilities can be limitless, but don't forget about these critters if you're trying to debug something weeks or months later... :-)

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: tim_at_sagelogix.com