Re:Usage of mySQL in enterprise environments

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 06:13:47 -0800

Hemant,

    MySql is akin to M$ Access. Use it accordingly for things that can be lost forever without damage. Seriously in a MySql database each schema is a subdirectory of where they put the database main directory. That point is not a negotiable item either, it's in /var/mysql (if memory serves). Then each table and index become separate files within the subdirectory. Backup is COLD only and while Immodb does handle transactional data there is no such thing as roll forward and the table(s) have to be specifically configured to use it. Also it is NOT free but close thereto ($549 per server at last look see).

    In my opinion a better choice is PostGreSql (www.postgresql.org). It's a totally free download, comes in RPM's which makes install so much easier, can do a "hot backup" or more likely an export, is totally transactional, the database directory is an environment variable so you can put it anywhere. An it's speed is comparable to MySql, but it does stored functions/procedures, etc... Much more like Oracle, but not exactly the same. For a zero cost database I find it very nice. Heck it even comes with a TOAD like (close, but way no cookie) query tool!!

Dick Goulet

Author: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date:       3/18/2003 3:03 AM

I've been asked to consider whether we can use mySQL for non-critical, but probably, enterprise-wide databases [e.g. information stores].

How good is the feedback on mySQL handling Queries, Transactions, ConcurrentUserCounts and DatabaseSize ?

Hemant K Chitale
http://hkchital.tripod.com

Author: Hemant K Chitale
  INET: hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Mar 18 2003 - 08:13:47 CST