AW: Usage of mySQL in enterprise environments

From: Stefan Jahnke <Stefan.Jahnke_at_bov.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 05:28:39 -0800

Hi

I think mySQL is ok, as long as you just use it to dump data into it (like firewall logs etc.) and run reports on the data using simple SQL. But mySQL really s$&%cks when it comes to things like subselects, inline views, stored procedure (and I think the last time, a developer asked me something, I noticed that at least the version he was using (3 something) didn't even support views, you had to go with some temporary tables, which do the job, but it's a totally different concept).
So be prepared to do things "not the Oracle way". ... and when it comes to transactions (I think ImmoDB tables do support them ok), the main plus about mySQL (maximum speed on low cost hardware) is gone.

Regards,
Stefan

Stefan Jahnke
Consultant
BOV Aktiengesellschaft
Voice: +49 201 - 4513-298
Fax: +49 201 - 4513-149
mailto: stefan.jahnke_at_nospam.bov.de
Please remove nospam to contact me via email.

visit our website: http://www.bov.de
subscribe to our newsletter: http://www.bov.de/presse/newsletter.asp

Sicherheitsluecken mit IT-Security-Konzepten von BOV effizient schliessen! Weitere Informationen unter +49 201/45 13-240 oder E-Mail an mailto:andrea.palluck_at_bov.de.

Wie Sie wissen, koennen ueber das Internet versandte E-Mails leicht unter fremden Namen erstellt oder manipuliert werden. Aus diesem Grunde bitten wir um Verstaendnis dafuer, dass wir zu Ihrem und unserem Schutz die rechtliche Verbindlichkeit der vorstehenden Erklaerungen und Aeusserungen ausschliessen.

As you are probably aware, e-mails sent via the Internet can easily be copied or manipulated by third parties. For this reason we would ask for your understanding that, for your own protection and ours, we must decline all legal responsibility for the validity of the statements and comments given above.

Author: Hemant K Chitale
  INET: hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg

Author: Stefan Jahnke
  INET: Stefan.Jahnke_at_bov.de

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Mar 18 2003 - 07:28:39 CST