Re: Oracle in the news

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:41:01 -0800

Oh, this is just too much.

Oracle contracting out to a SQL Server shop to save $$.

Hell just froze over.

Jared

DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
 03/17/2003 11:19 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Oracle in the news

>From the Robert X. Cringely column in InfoWorld:

Oracle slammed and exposed

Although Microsoft catches a lot of heat for using rival software within its own walls, it was discovered recently Oracle uses Microsoft's SQL Server database, among other things.

That's right, and chief Larry Ellison was forced to suck it up and admit this, albeit internally, when Oracle was struck by the SQL Slammer virus. In a memo that I obtained on the down-low, Ellison wrote that Slammer slowed Oracle's global network. "It seems we have a few copies of the Microsoft SQL Server database on our network," Larry wrote. "We need the SQL Server machines to test the Oracle database and make certain it interoperates properly with the Microsoft database. However, we do not need to attach the Microsoft machines to our network and will not do so in the future."

That is not all, though. A spy of mine was using the Oracle Development Tools User Group management facility to change his member-name password. All of a sudden he got an error regarding the Microsoft Jet database engine and some related difficulty. Shocked, he wired the user group administrative listserver and was told that the work is contracted out because retaining an Oracle-based shop for the management of the service would be prohibitively expensive.

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com