RE: Autoallocate (was Re: LMT monitoring)

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:34:07 -0800

With power comes complexity.

Personally, I can't think of exceptions to that rule. Maybe someone else can. Sizing rollback segments is usually a non-issue, but there's always plenty of other stuff going on to keep me busy. :)

( Watch out, here comes another car analogy, though I   haven't used one in a while )

Driving a car around a race track comes to mind. Anyone can do it, it's really easy.

Doing so as quickly as a powerful car is capable of is something else entirely. It takes coordination, skill, knowledge of the vehicle, the track conditions, the cars ahead of you and behind you and a slew of other things.

Slow is simple and easy.

Fast is hard and complex.

Anyone can setup SQL Server. ;)

Jared

DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
 03/17/2003 11:15 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Autoallocate (was Re: LMT monitoring)

Jared - When it comes to comparing databases, a lot comes down to perception. Oracle would like to market itself to small sites that don't even have a DBA, otherwise if forfeits those accounts to Microsoft. Now, when the MS salesperson says "Oracle takes a lot more maintenance, and nobody knows how to size rollback segments", the Oracle rep can reply "Oh we
automated that".

    Of course, if you feed your family by understanding how Oracle works, you aren't so eager for them to make it so simple that it takes no attention
;-)

Author: Alex Feinstein
  INET: alexf1_at_san.rr.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Mar 17 2003 - 13:34:07 CST