RE: Sizing Indexes - URGENT

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:22:14 -0800

Daniel - Excellently put. The other factor you can usually only estimate is the row size, until you get some test data. The old engineer in me says that if you can only guess at the row size and number of rows, then don't pretend the exact formula is going to do much for you. I started with a slide rule which was only accurate to 2-1/2 significant digits. When people started using calculators, they thought they had 10 significant digits. But if even one of your input variables is only accurate to 2 digits, then that is probably all the accuracy you're going to wind up with.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Mar 17 2003 - 11:22:14 CST