Comparing strings whilst ignoring some characters

From: Mark Richard <mrichard_at_transurban.com.au>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:39:33 -0800

Hi Everyone,

I have a common problem and whilst I can remember solving it in the past I'm drawing a mental blank this time...

I need to look for duplicates in a varchar2 field in a table. However I should ignore case, whitespace and non-alphanumeric characters. Obviously upper, rtrim and ltrim get me a long way to the solution, but... What is the easiest way to remove inline space, so that "the cat" equals "thecat". I thought I used the translate function, but a quick inspection didn't reveal how.

Thanks in advance,

          Mark.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

   Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.

          If you are not the addressee indicated in this message
       (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person),
            you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender
           by reply e-mail or by telephone on (61 3) 9612-6999.
   Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to
                Internet e-mail for messages of this kind.
        Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message
              that do not relate to the official business of
                         Transurban City Link Ltd
         shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

Author: Mark Richard
  INET: mrichard_at_transurban.com.au